Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Starting at New Schools, Again!

With another move comes another start to another round of schools. Charlotte and Hannah Kate started 1st grade this year at Winstead Elementary and for the first time ever were able to be in different classes. Their preschool only had 1 class per age group and their elementary school last year only had 1 Kindergarten class so they have always had to be in the same class. Charlotte's teacher is Mrs. Stevens and Hannah Kate is in Ms. Edwards class and the 2 classes are joined in the middle by a cubby room so they still get to see each other in little doses throughout the day when they get their lunchboxes or put something away in their cubbies. I think it has been such a wonderful thing to have them separated because they get a little break from being together ALL THE TIME and are usually pretty excited to hang out at the end of the day. One big adjustment for all this year is that they go to school all day instead of 1/2 day so I feel like I barely get to see them during the week and when they are home we're either hustling to get out the door in the morning to catch the bus or we are doing homework. I have come to really appreciate the weekends when we all get to relax and take it easy and not be so rushed :)

Micah started preschool in the Early Childhood program at Pearre Creek Elementary and loves it! It is set up similarly to the preschool he went to in IL last year where they have a mix of typically developing peers with children with special needs and it is such a wonderful program with amazing teachers! Micah is such a sweet friend to all and so he has thrived in this program. His teacher is Mrs. Jenny Crockett and I don't think there could be a more perfect teacher for him, and he just loves getting to see her each day :) The only downside is that it's almost a 20 minute drive from home and it lasts for 3 hours, 4 days/week so by the time I take him there and get back home Clara and I have been in the car for an hour and then another hour to pick him back up and race home to receive the girls when they get off the bus. I do sort of feel like a taxi sometimes but I know this is only for a season and it's totally worth it for such an awesome preschool experience.

I also started teaching at a new school called Belmont University. I am an adjunct clinical instructor 1 day/week for the Intro to Nursing class and am really enjoying it! It is so good for me to be able to engage in the nursing side of my life and get to teach again. I get to teach the clinicals at the hospital that is less than 15 minutes from home so that is another plus :) I have a wonderful babysitter, Ms. Jessica, whom I've known since she was in middle school as she's one of my little sister's childhood friends. She taxis the kids around and makes sure everyone gets to school on time and always has a smile on her face when I see her. I'm thankful for the ways that God has provided for me to be able to work part-time and not need to worry about my children being taken well care of while I do it because I know they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment