Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Paci update

The paci wean is going so much better than I had expected. I really was prepared for her to cry day in and day out for that thing for several weeks because of how dependent she is on it but she has done pretty well, in my opinion.
Day 1 was okay, she cried for probably 15 minutes for it and then was okay and played all afternoon without it. She has asked for it everyday at some point, but I just repeat that paci is for bedtime and naptime only and that it is safe in her bed until she goes to sleep. She is usually okay with this answer but may fuss a little if any at all.
Day 2 she did the same thing, probably cried for 15 minutes in the morning and after nap but then was okay. In the car she cries a few minutes for it before going into her screensaver mode and just zoning out. She learned that trick from her daddy :)
Day 3 was even better. In the morning I asked her to put paci in the crib before we left her room so we could go get some breakfast and she shook her head no at me. Then she tried to come place it in my pocket because that's how nonny was getting her to go without it for small stretches during the day when she was here. She would ask HK to put paci in her pocket and that she would keep it safe there and if she wanted it back she would know where to find it. And she would play for a bit and then come reach in her pocket and get paci back. So she thought it would be a good idea to just stick paci in my pocket instead of in the crib but I told her that paci couldn't stay in my pocket, it had to go in the crib to which she again shook her head no. Next, she was given a choice of putting it in the crib or letting momma put it there and she just came right up to me, placed it in my hand, turned around, walked toward the door, and grabbed the doorknob to tell me she was ready to go eat. After nap there was minimal fussing for it and then she played all afternoon without it.
Today, Day 4, there was really no fussing for it! She let me put it in the crib before leaving her room this morning and afternoon and went without a fuss. However, this morning she had a meltdown that I thought was maybe related to the paci and didn't figure out until I took off her shirt for the bath tonight that she had such a bad bite mark from Charlotte that it broke the skin! I felt so bad because I treated her like she was having an emotional temper tantrum rather than hurt. Poor thing :(  On a related note I have caught her sucking on her thumb 3 different times today. I can't help but smile and laugh at that because it's so darn cute. She has never once in her life sucked her thumb even when I've tried to show her in the past that if she loses her paci somewhere the thumb is a good alternative. I guess she's seen Charlotte do it enough that she thought it was worth a try :) I am so proud of you HK for how well you've done with this paci wean!

No comments:

Post a Comment